Mr. Charles Yeh Kwong Lee was born in Shanghai in 1936, and was educated and brought up in Hong Kong. |
After graduating from the University of London with a Master's degree in law, Mr. Lee became a qualified solicitor in both Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. He is one of the founders of the solicitors' firm of Woo, Kwan, Lee & Lo, a major law firm in Hong Kong. He is also a qualified accountant, and a chartered secretary.
From 1988 to 1991, Mr. Lee was a member of the Council of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited, and became its Chairman 1992 to 1994. Currently, he is Chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited, which holds the Stock and Futures Exchange of Hong Kong.
His many public appointments include:
- Secretary to The Companies Law Revision Committee from 1968 to 1973, leading to the enactment of the Securities Ordinance and substantial amendments to theCompanies Ordinance;
- Member of the Governor's Business Council from 1992-1997;
- Hong Kong Affairs Adviser from 1993 to 1997;
- Member of The Selection Committee of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region by The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China in 1996;
- Member of the Equal Opportunities Commission of Hong Kong since 1996;
- Member of the Executive Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government from 1997 to June 2002;
- Member of the Court of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University since 1998;
- Member of the Council of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology since 1998;
- Chairman of the Council of the Open University of Hong Kong since 1998,
- Chairman of the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority since 1998.
- Chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited since 1999.
Mr. Lee was made a Non-Official Justice of the Peace (JP) in 1993, and an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1994. He was also awarded the Gold Bauhinia Star (GBS) in 2000, and the degree of Doctor of Laws honoris causa.
He participates actively in community service, assuming Chairmanship of the Campaign Committee of the The Community Chest of Hong Kong from 1995 to 1997, and becoming Executive Committee Chairman of the Chest from 1997 to 1998. From 1998-2002 he remained as Vice-Patron. Currently he is being elected President, Chairman of the Board of Directors and also member of the Executive-Committee of the Chest .
Mr. Lee is married with a daughter and a son, and his hobbies are boating and scuba diving.
See also: 04:20 pm Welcome address
See also: 07:00 pm The Changing Face of Hong Kong